Design Process & Options
How We Work
Our design process always start with our clients briefing. We then collect all of the essential scientific information that will be required. This includes climate, topography, rainfall & water, wind directions & speeds, sunlight angles as well as existing structures.
All of this information is then consolidated into a base map, onto which we can plot the best positions for new desired elements. The relationships between these elements; how they connect and feed into each other is always foremost in our designs.
The aim is to create a system that has a natural synergy. Working in harmony, in exactly the same way that natural ecosystems work.
Ethics, The Principles of Nature & Science
We look to nature for our inspiration for design because natural systems are intelligent, conscious designs. Nature has spent millenia perfecting techniques that actually work and solve problems.
Edible Ecosystems using Permaculture design principles is about more than just choosing the right things. It is about how we connect them together, creating relationships with each other and the site.
By using the science of ecosystems, and applying to our designs, we can provide unique solutions to individual needs within a project.
The Design Process itself is a ‘feedback loop’ designed to work in the same way that feedback loops work in nature. Creating designs for the real world, where things evolve and change happens.
The Benefits of Permaculture, Agroecology & Regenerative Agriculture
For People & Community
- Increased wellbeing – working with nature is good for physical & mental health
- Growing your own food gives you greater food security
- Save time, money & energy
- Creates the potential for new additional sources of income
- Gives a positive existence that is good for the Earth & creates community spirit
For The Land
- Builds soil, increasing fertility and stopping erosion
- Provides solutions to protect against flood and drought
- Increases capture & storage of water, energy & nutrients
- Obtain multiple, diverse yields all year round
- Saves time, energy & money by increasing efficiency
- Eliminates the need for polluting, dangerous agrochemicals
- Turns organic waste into usable products
Designs For the Real World
“We can listen to what the system tells us, and discover how its properties and our values can work together to bring forth something much better than could ever be produced by our will alone.We can’t control systems or figure them out. But we can dance with them!” Donella Meadows, author of ‘Thinking In Systems’
Our Design Process
Our designs begin well before ‘pen is put to paper’. The design process consists of several phases. We start with an initial consultation which is followed by a full survey of the site.
Following the survey an in-depth analysis/assessment takes place. The concept design; developed with full client involvement, emerges out of this.
When the client is happy with the concept the master design plan is created.
A schedule of work for implementation is then drawn up. With agreement for who is to carry out what work. Suggested plant lists are also provided.
Finally a maintenance/monitoring plan is produced.
If you would like to request a quote please
To see the full range of options & get some inspiration for your design see
The big question is always ‘How much does a Permaculture/Edible Ecosystem design cost?’ Unfortunately there is no straightforward answer to this question, it isn’t that we are trying to hide anything, it’s more that every job is different which makes it impossible to produce a ‘menu’ of set fees. Some of the factors that influence the cost are project size, complexity and any major problems with the site. We always provide a full quotation before you decide whether to book a design.
You can mix and match any of our options (or part option)
Design (Remote or On-site)
- Site Survey
- Site Analysis
- Design Concept
- Design Masterplan
Detailed Planting Plan
- Incorporating Edible Plants into an existing garden design (Foodscaping)
- Full details & instructions on Guilds, Companion Planting & Symbiosis
Implementation & Maintenance
- Project manage Implementation of Design
- Provide ground crew if required
- Manage maintenance if required
- All aspects of growing as needed
- Principles & Techniques
- Propagation & Seed Saving
- One-to-One or Groups
If you would like more details or would lik to request a quote please
Specialist works such a tree surgery or groundwork, are carried out by trusted, licensed, professionals who partner us.
The video shown is from one of our design implementations in York.
Learning Tree Permaculture is a member of the Permaculture Association
The Permaculture Association works to radically and positively change the way we live in the UK and actively supports a worldwide movement.